Saturday, April 3, 2010

On a much long needed reunion tour
I passed through Ontario's Muskokian allure
It made me smile, it made me laugh,
To drink with friends on different paths
But it made me sad to see the Sound
Struggling to deal with the corps. in town
Walmart having pulled out the stool
The downtown's dead, the south end's cruel.

Onward down through the GTA
Toronto's smog a chemical haze
In St. James Town it was refreshing to be
A blatant minority, the token whitey
More good times with friends not usually seen
We walked through Cabagetown where my childhood had been
I thought as I left, "Toronto's that friend,
After four years apart it's like old times again."

The Hammer they called it as industry boomed
While these days the downtown's a working class tomb
But the drab and the dreary have no effect over me
The nostalgia of the streets warms my head to my feet
There are few that I like to converse with more
With my great uncle Don, chatter's never a bore
Thomas I've know since I was just 5 weeks old
23 long years later, we're still living gold.

Brantford.
It was hot.
The Maple Leaf factory smells like deep-frying rancid deep-fried meat.
Pray the wind blows not in your direction.

Home at last, not a day too soon
No containing my joy, I'm over the moon
We walk through the market, watching the red plates go by
The revamped library stabs into in the sky
On two wheels I speed down the unkempt old roads
While Gabby sits at home with a swollen lymph node
Sick for 6 days, now she's off on her way
Not too many more and I'll be biking all day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention Bean. Haha. Also newly noted is the definition of a bindle on the side. Helpful.xx

    ReplyDelete